Jane Gonzales, of Mother's Nature 2, Inc., was recently at our school for a second visit. She brings nature programs to schools for young children. The topic for this visit was all about "Apples & Johnny Appleseed."
This fun program combined costumes, storytelling, and hands-on activities. The kids loved it...especially when they were pretending to be trees! They talked about different kinds/colors of apples, how apple trees grow from seeds, and of course -- Johnny Appleseed. One of the children even dressed up like Johnny Appleseed.
|Placing blossoms and leaves on the apple tree.|
|Adding red apples to the tree.|
|We are tiny apple seeds!|
|We sprouted! Now we are growing into big apple trees...|
|Look at our branches spreading out!|
|Dressing up like Johnny Appleseed and examining the |
various types of gear he would have needed for his travels.
|The kids enjoyed hearing about how Johnny Appleseed carried |
his tin pot on his head. What a silly hat!
|Would Johnny Appleseed take this on his voyage?|
|Maybe he would take this?|
Ohio Pre-Kindergarten Content Standards:
- Science Inquiry and Application
- Observe and ask questions about the natural environment.
- Life Science -- Observations of Living Things
- There are many distinct environments in Ohio that support different kinds of organisms.
- English Language Arts
- Speaking and Listening Standards
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- Confirm understanding of a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media by asking and answering questions about key details and requesting clarification if something is not understood.